The pulse of the party is its' theme.







Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thomas the Tank Engine, Birthday Party

Going back through my parties and I came across a couple of pictures from my nieces 6th birthday. She is more into American Girl dolls these days, but once upon a time, she LOVED Thomas. Don't have a ton of pics and I technically did not throw the party, but you can see where I brought my love for a theme with me as a guest.


You may be able to see that my sister had already ordered a cake. She has some fun parties, but does not get as carried away with the theme the way I do. I decided I would try and make a smaller personal train cake just for the birthday girl.

Ok....creative it may be, but it is no Creative Cakes! I actually just used a pound cake and some cookies for this. I cut a 1/4 of the pound cake off and placed on top. I used some food coloring and store bought icing to decorate in Thomas colors. The wheels and tracks are cookies and the roof is covered with chocolate graham crackers. Colored some coconut to make the grass. I don't remember what that was I used to draw the face on. Looking at it now, I could have used a vanilla cookie or something. It was really a last minute idea. I used to put a lot more effort into making cakes, but that just seemed to make me fatter, so I stopped.


For some reason it is hard to buy that sweet little girl just one gift on her birthday. Rather than wrap each thing individually with store bought Thomas paper, I came up with the idea of putting her presents in Thomas. I took a file box from my office and wrapped it with blue paper. I then used card stock and some black markers to finish it off. I remember being quite pleased I was able to draw out the Thomas face all by myself! The birthday card was just construction paper made to look like a ticket for the train. Too Cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment